PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet Crosswind Landing Technique
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2006, 19:27
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
Yes, I wondered if that term describes a technique I used to use on medium weight turbo props.
Using a wing down technique often needed a turn while on one wheel to align with the centerline. It sounds horrible, but was totally stable and rather dainty.

Some of the severe weather cross-wind landing on youtube had me on the edge of my seat. Into-wind wing high, while tracking down wind. Just a total @$^^ up from the onset.

I always made a point of knowing just how far I could roll/rotate/flare etc...event to the point of asking the guys in the tower to watch during training. What totally #@$ me off was the new world of SOPs telling me that I couldn't use a lower flap setting--when I had so much concrete that I could have built a small township beyond the touchdown point. Far greater bank potential, and much better ground handling in gusty conditions, but a rule that said that I could no longer do it.

It's a strange time this transition period -- between the old timers and the computer chips that will eventually do everything.