PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did You Fly The Vulcan?? (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2006, 10:30
Milt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All of the aerobatics in the Vulcan Mk1s not involving negative g were readily performed. It had a fighter stick, a good roll rate and handled more like a fighter with fighter stick forces and Q feel. One had to take care with g applications as it could easily be overstressed. There was no hint of wing flexing wheras the Victor seemed to be over flexible.

We did a climbing barrel roll soon after gear retraction on my second Vulcan flight with Tony Blackman at BD. The four Bristol Olympus twin spool engines were a beautiful match to the airframe. The performance and manoeureability made for a delightful aircraft to fly. For these reasons it will long be remembered and reverred by those who were fortunate enough to be a crew member.

Would delight in hearing from someone who was on the aircraft carrier in Lyme Bay for gun firing practice in the late 50s. It shouldn't have been there without restricted area clearance especially as I had just dropped a full load of inert 500 pounders through cloud in its vicinity. My final would be landing approach on to the deck of the carrier followed by a full powered go round and pull up would have surely blown loose items overboard.

Only had a few flights in the Mk2s and cannot comment first hand on its aerobatic handling. It should have been even more capable and as manoeurable as the Mk1s.