PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: The Price of Oil
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2006, 03:39
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We certainly have 185s Omkali, Pindiu and Mindik in common...

I am greener than I may, at times, sound...that doesn't mean I believe in anthropogenic global warming. Certainly a cleaner environment is preferable from many perspectives. I don't want to see mercury killing fish or pollution turning pretty rivers and countryside into ugly useless areas...I don't like seeing Malaysian logging companies clear felling forests and turning rivers brown with silt and clogging inshore reefs with sludge. But those are different issues and don't impact global warming or cooling...they didn't have an effect over millenia and they don't have a measurable effect now or in the future.

The earth has been evolving and CHANGING since day 1. All of a sudden it is 'our fault' and some think we can stop that evolution.

Show me some imperical data that proves anthrogenic global warming...and I don't mean quote David Suzuki...show me some proof that what you believe to be true is actually happening.

I certainly believe the world is getting a little warmer...I just don't accept that man is causing it or that it will be catastrophic.

As to oil running out?

Possibly. But when, as quoted above somewhere, only a single digit % of oil use is air travel that means to me that 90% of the rest of the transport modes we rely on can be driven by alternatives.

We don't need oil (or coal) to drive cars, trains or power stations. With the alternative technologies being refined we can reduce our dependance on oil by 75+% if the will is there.

Think of it this way. What would a barrel of oil be worth if 75% of the worlds cars were hybrid/bio diesel? What would that do to Govt tax revenues? Remember that close to 50% of the cost of every liter goes to the Govt in fuel excise and GST...and GST on fuel excise

What would happen to the price of a barrel of oil if that C change could be effected in the next few years?

It would hit about $5/barrel!

That would leave those technologies that cannot be transfered easily away from oil...like aeroplanes, shipping etc to use a product, oil, that has a life extended by thousands of years.

It won't be that spectacular of course. These things will happen over time...as demand varies oil production will vary in an effort to maintain it at a price that everyone can live with. The result will be the same in the end however...affordable oil lasting many generations beyond the point where I cease to give a ****.

Last edited by Chimbu chuckles; 4th Nov 2006 at 03:59.