PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Continental 757 Lands on Taxiway at EWR
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2006, 17:45
buscapt

Experience

Originally Posted by FLCH
OK Worldpilot, the Captain of that flight is a good friend of mine, and severely dislike people that shoot first and ask questions later. Please think before posting absolute statements...lest you be jumped by others...
I am new to the forum and find the discussion facinating on many levels. I had heard the Captain on this flight was not new to the Capt seat but new to the 757. Is this true?

From a human factors point of view and my own experience, this has far reaching implications. I spent 6 years in the right seat of the A/319/320. When I upgraded to Capt I was overwhelmed with frustration because little things were dropping through the crack...unthinkable things that never would have been missed before. The cause was not stupidity but mental orientation readjustment. Switches you automatically know the location of must be placed in a "new mental location." I am not incinuating this Capt was preoccupied with switch location. I am saying that brain byte usage on changed "automatic" behavior prevents brain byte usage on what others would see as the obvious.

If in fact that is not the case with Capt experience on this particular incident, I would suggest filing this away for that upgrade or plane changes. It takes a tremendous amount of energy to properly focus "brain bytes"