PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FlyBe to acquire BA Connect (Crew thread - no spotters)
Old 3rd Nov 2006, 15:51
trotts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Answers (Some)

Hi All,

Sorry to hear that BA have treated their staff so poorly with notification - for what it's worth flybe staff only found out on getting into work/returning after a roster this morning, but at least we got a shiny video/letter/handout to look at. Not much detail in them either, lots of questions to be answered and something of a bolt from the blue.

Flybe is a weird thing in itself -the people on the line are great and there is a generally very positive attitude to the day's work. That's the only good bit.

There is no scheduling agreement; in fact, after a year in the company I'm still without a contract I'm willing to sign. Your life aint really your own -we are working, at SOU, 6 day stretches of at least 4 sectors a day, always finishing on a late and starting on an early for 56 hrs off. That means one beer night in 8 -or is it 9? -I'm too knackered to work it out. In Oct I flew over 85 hrs and all standby days were called in.

The Q400 is a hoot - very capable and efficient on paper, especially banknote paper, but a bitch to fly and the flightdeck is an ergonomic slum. Great fun as long as you can let the gotcha's wash over you and have no pride in getting a greaser now and then.

You have little control over the roster; day-off requests are usually ignored and have to be in before you get the relevant invite/appointment and if you don't know when you want your 28 days leave 9 months in advance a nice lady in Exeter decides for you.

April 06's pay deal still is in dispute, although the TP pay is better than BACON's. The membership blew away the last offer - 4% pa for 3 years is a con, and it lacked a scheduling agreement apart from a few minor concessions. 195 course slots are rare to the point of extinction. The management clearly don't give a toss about the staff welfare or morale - good to know we upped the value of their options by 20million last six months though.

And the 3rd PArty handling agents range from OK to lousy.

SO - Were I in BACON I'd be glad of the security, certain for the TP pilots and hopefully for the Jet guys, but I would look at flybe, as sooooo many of us do, as either an employer convenient to a regional airport where you really want to live, or a stepping stone to another job.

There is one more good point, actually, lots of jet operators are developing a real taste for people with Q400 experience!