PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PHI lose S76 in GOM
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2006, 13:28
Mars

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rick,

Are you certain that the VFR minima is the same for fixed wing and rotary?

You are quoting the (helicopter) Part 91.155(b)(1) Class G minima when, by your reference to 'operators', we might assume that the (helicopter) Part 135.205(b)(1) or (2) might apply - i.e. 1/2 mile by day or 1 mile by night.

It's unfortunate that whilst the alleged 'blog' from the P2 implicitly exudes an air of competence:
The last call I made we were roughly 400 feet on the radar altimeter, the PIC called for windsheild wipers. I stated "windshield wipers" and reached for the switch. From that point it all seems like a bad dream. As I reached the switch we impacted the water at roughly 100mph.
the P1's story says something quite different:
The PIC estimated moderate rain, while noticing that the floats were not armed and that the rain on the wind shield was obscuring his vision. He asked the first officer again to arm the floats and turn on the wipers. The first officer appeared to be fumbling with the switches as the PIC looked down to see what was happening.
It is not clear to me that any device would have saved the day when it appears that distraction was one of the principal factors.