PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which headset & where to buy?!
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2006, 11:55
Nil Flaps

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Merritt,

I had just a couple of lessons before realising club headsets are best described as 'fair to dodgy' and it certainly doesn't help when you have to keep saying 'pardon'? to your instructor when comms are intermittent during your lesson. Sure, headsets cost a bit, but it's better than throwing away several hundred dollars on a lesson you feel was a waste of time because you could hear little more than bugger all for much of it, not to mention trying to fly one-handed because the bastards kept slipping all over your head. I speak from experience.

Like thousands of other lemmings, I chose the David Clark 13.4's. After trying many different brands for size, DC's were the most comfortable for me (everyone's different, so don't buy till you try) but also because my instructor uses them (this apparently helps to avoid brand compatibility problems), and also because they are said to work well in many aircraft. I've never had any problems in cessnas, tecnam, beechcraft, lancair. The DC's aren't cheap but they aren't the most expensive choice either and I have to say its the best single flying purchase I've made.

As bose-x and many others will attest, Bose appear to be the best thing since sliced bread (I can't confirm or deny this as I've never tried them) but I personally could never justify spending that kind of money when embarking on flight training, and for a newbie's needs, I certainly wouldn't agree with him/her that DC's are crap. Quite the opposite. Mine are lightweight, comfy, sound great & while they might stretch the budget a bit, at least you won't need a second mortgage to afford a pair!

BTW, I'm no DC salesman, nor am I some gullible ninckumpoop that bought the 13.4's through my club or an affiliate outlet so someone could get a nice little back-hander. DC's work fine for me. And at least I get to hear the FI loud and clear now.

Last edited by Nil Flaps; 3rd Nov 2006 at 12:17.