PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Continental 757 Lands on Taxiway at EWR
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2006, 11:45
jondc9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sailor Orion

Sailor Orion

If you don't respond to this I will think that either you are not reading this post or it has been electronically masked .

You asked about ILS on runway 29/ engineering standpoint and all that bit.

While there is NO ILS on RW29, RW 11 has an ILS which also project a BACKCOURSE which would allow line up on RW 29...WHILE not certified as an instrument approach, it would certainly do to help pick out the runway (29) from all the lights in New Jersey on a VMC evening.

Indeed the backcourse of an ILS is even more sensitive at the threshold than the front course for left/right orientation. (no glide slope of course).

And of course 11/29 is the same piece of concrete...(just for those who don't understand such things)

ALSO Sailor: The 29 runway does have REIL lights (runway end identifier lights) and while not a full ALSFII, they are quite helpful.

IT IS my considered opinion that since PAPI is installed on 29, but on the RIGHT SIDE unlike any other papi/vasi at EWR(all to the left of the other runways) , the pilots went to the right of the PAPI (perhaps not briefing this aspect of 29) and that could only lead to the taxiway.

Having flown circling appchs to 29 at EWR in evening hours, I can tell you that there are lots of lights all over the joint including the freeway which almost always causes some degree of confusion.