PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FlyBe to acquire BA Connect (Crew thread - no spotters)
Old 3rd Nov 2006, 11:33
bmibaby.com

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only issue I see with BA Connect's cabin crews is the strength of your unions. I know a couple of ex-BACON people who are over at baby now, who said that the unions are so tough at BACON that they would never accept cabin tidies between flights, essentially a staple of the no-frills model. I see the jobs being safe, as flybe are still going to need the crews for all of these flights, as well as for their existing expansion programme, but there will have to be a fundemental mentality change for the crews to adopt to no-frills flying.

I see flybe moving their operations at BHX over to T2 in order to utilise the expanded facilities that have been put in there. T2 fits in with flybe's model of the convenient regional airport, whilst T1 can be something of a schlepp being full of shops, something better suited to charter and longhaul passengers. The press release on BA's website indicates that the regional handling division is not included in the purchase, so what will happen to that I wonder? Also whether flybe might consider aligning their frequent flyer programme with Executive Club, a way of maintaining happy BA customers.

BA have really sold BACON at the right time. With expansion programmes from other low-cost airlines in the regions, the Jungle Jets simply couldn't compete. flybe gives BA a 15% stake in a profitable no-frills regional airline and offloading a continually loss making one - businesswise, it makes the most sense.