PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aus Expats - would you go home (with poll)
Old 3rd Nov 2006, 07:57
AirNoServicesAustralia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As you have been at pains to explain, you are working traffic levels now that you would never see in Australia. If this is the case, why would Airservices need to pay you more to control traffic in Aus
Without this becoming a "mine is bigger than yours" argument, I find it funny that you say "if" this is the case. Mate, UAE centre handles over 36,000 movements a month, with a maximum of 18 controllers working in a 24 hour period (3 shifts, 6 controllers per shift (sometimes down to 5 if shortstaffed as we are often)). Those 6 controllers man 4 permanent sectors and one holding sector that gets opened for peak periods when holding is required. The Centre supervisor is also one of those 6 (or maybe 5). To put that number of aircraft into perspective, that is the same number of movements, Melbourne airport, Adelaide airport, Canberra airport and Perth airport have combined per month. All done daily by 3 shifts of (if we are lucky) 6 controllers. Cheers.
And I never said Airservices should pay me more, I said they should pay me what I am worth, in relation to my experience and training. Being a 10 year controller, 4 of those in a high density arrivals departure radar environment, I should be paid what a 10 year controller in a high density arrivals/departures environment in Australia is paid. If you don't think that is fair then we will have to agree to disagree.

And just to clarify this is not to belittle the job Aussie controllers do, or the difficulty of their job, as they have challenges we don't have to face, eg. limited radar coverage, a very labor intensive ATC system taking focus time away from the radar screen, and as Euronator said, a way of grading the seriousness of incidents like nowhere else in the world, where a controller can never have a reduction but be suspended over and over again due to coordination errors.

My point is and always has been that the experience I have gained overseas is of value to Airservices and as such they should pay me as my experience warrants.

And to second Euronators comments about an exchange program. I think Australian ATC would benefit greatly from such a program as it would open a lot of eyes to different ways of "skinning the cat", as well as exposing ATC'ers to a lot of things they will rarely if ever see in Australia.

Last edited by AirNoServicesAustralia; 3rd Nov 2006 at 13:23. Reason: To clarify motivation for writing what I did.