PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cessna 150/152 Performance Figures
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2006, 03:11
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
Hi Dean,

The Cessna 150, as opposed to the 152, should handle a 1000' runway safely, with: a 48" pitch propeller, a Horton STOL kit, no obstacles and favourable winds and density altitude. A still, hot day will need more runway. If there are obstacles in the departure path, it will only be safe with a cool day, and a good wind. I have a 150M so configured, and can manage 600' or better ground roll in most conditions. 300' departure, and 200' arrival ground rolls are possible in ideal conditions. Obstacle clearance is never spectacular in a 150!

A factory original 152 is nowhere near as good in short runway, do not try it! If the 152 is "Sparrowhawk" modified, it will be much better. The Tomahawk is a great plane, but not for short runways, particularly with low time pilot. Colt or Tripacer are great in short runways, but less common, and perhaps more costly for long term maintenance.

The Horton STOL kit is worth its weight in gold for safety for this type of operation. You will not find performance figures for it though. I rotate at 45 MPH, and approach at 65 to 55 MPH with power all the time. It is possible to fly full power, full (40) flaps at 25 MPH indicated, and do 30 degree bank turns without loosing altitude, or control. The STOL kit costs you money, but not cruise speed.

Some cautions about STOL kits in general though: Do not glide at speeds lower than the original Cessna book figures, the plane will do it, but there will be no reserve energy for the flare, and you'll go thump! The installation of the STOL kit removes spin approval for the plane - no good for flight training. If spun with STOL kit, the spin recovers itself, and changes to a spiral dive on its own. Spin recovery on a sprial dive is not safe. The plane can easily be flown at pitch attitudes so as to strike the tail on the ground, and the tail tiedown ring really cannot withstand it - it's an expensive fix.

And 150HP in a Cessna 150? not worth the cost. Yes, it will go faster, but the low speed performance actually suffers, as well as the useful load. I am well experienced with these types of operations, if your friend needs more information, feel free to ask. (I do have the original flight manual for my 150M)

Cheers, Pilot DAR