PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde to fly again?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2006, 23:37
boredcounter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The last real beautie of the skies

I doubt very much she will ever fly again. The costs involved in restoring airworthiness does not make the average beancounter smile with national pride. Who would support the project as designer for repairs and airworthiness sponser. Alas, this young lady is not available to fly on an 'on condition' basis, if she were, I'd chip in for gas, no matter how much she guzzled......................
Now, if only we could give the Russians the 'real' plans, the technology and a couple of good airframes. They would find a commercial use for her, as they do their one off's. Who would have thought the Tu144 or others would fly for profit again.
Then again, Concorde on an 'N' plate, flying in NASA colours, reseaching the 2020 Superjet project, no doubt to be allowed to fly to any UK airport, from any American airport, doesn't warrent thinking about.
The British, once proud, World leading Aircraft industry is dead. Left now to the few proud restorers, working in their own time to keep history alive.
The Government, in the form of the BBMF,RN historic Flight etc, keep a number of key, historical aircraft flying, I am very happy to fund that as a tax payer and aviation enthusiast, even the DC3. The Vulcan restoration fights for lottery funding and support and may or may not of won, time will tell.
Yet we hear we must tax aviation, it harms the environment, it can subsidise the development of the third world. The first may be true, the second, balderdash in my personal opinion.
Tax every ticket, in and out of the UK. Heritage Tax, GBP1.00 a ticket, 100,000,000 pa through LON! Who would notice? We have more bodies through LON than we have population.
Now, that just might, just might, get her flying again, restore the BAC 1-11 to the UK register (display perpose), and work on a Viscount and Herald.
As the American Government still funds the B52, charge the Yanks an extra Quid to fund the Vulcan, that should do it!
To think the Atlantique Historic flight is open to offers over and above 1,00,000 makes my blood boil............................................
No I am not that callous, another GBP1.00 per ticket to invest in finding the answer to Oil, thats GBP1.00 tax on every ticket to aid development of the world, already raped, globally, billions........................ to educate America cars do run quite OK on 1000cc engines and diesel to, try leading on this one.