Originally Posted by ivor the driver
I came across this while studying my JAA ATPL
During flight the yaw pedals are used to control:
a) direction of movement and heading
b) aircraft direction, slip and skid
c) aircraft heading, balance, slip and skid
d) turning, balance, direction & slip

The correct answer is c)
Can someone please enlighten me how the pedals control heading? I thought the cyclic did that in flight? (unless you're in a hover)
And what is "balance"?
Can we all agree that the only possible correct answer is 'c' here? Obviously pedals dont control direction of movement (a) unless you consider yaw a direction of movement, aircraft direction (b), or direction (d). Pedals control heading in the hover, balance in flight and slip/skid (also measures of balance in flight).

To answer your question, "What is balance"...thats when the little spirit level (balance ball) is in the center and your behind doesn't feel like its slipping out of the seat in flight (ie. "Gee, wouldn't it be nice if you'd get the aircraft in balanced flight so my arse wouldn't fall out the door." This would be a typical sarcastic instructor way of saying, 'step on the ball mate'.)

Can I ask a question of my own(i4iq)...how does collective control taxi speed and or stopping as one of your contributors suggests? Is that at typo? I thought cyclic controlled taxi speed. Also, since I'm being pedantic, collective doesn't really control stopping all by itself either, does it?

All the best men.

HP

Last edited by helopat; 2nd Nov 2006 at 22:27. Reason: Because no post is ever perfect the first time, is it?