PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Abusive pax
Thread: Abusive pax
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2006, 10:56
Globaliser
Too mean to buy a long personal title

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Barkly1992
In 30 years I am not become aware of any aircraft accident being caused by a bunch of kids in the cabin using portable game machines; idiots trying to use mobile phones; by the use of laptop; vibrators or allowing passengers with heart pacemakers.
I understand (and I am no longer in the field) that no aviation safety authority has been able to duplicate control, nav or instrument deviation with non-transmitting devices being used in the cabin.
You should read the UK CAA's research, then.

There are broadly two schools of thought about this: A. There's a theoretical possibility, but it hasn't happened, so let's allow these devices to be used unless there is an accident that makes us change our minds. B. There's a theoretical possibility, and even though it hasn't happened we should take the precautionary approach to make sure there is never an accident.

You may fall into one of these camps rather than the other. But if you really were in the field, surely you must recognise the philosophy behind the rule, and that it is still a controversial subject? Your original question suggested that this took you by surprise.