PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Abusive pax
Thread: Abusive pax
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2006, 09:27
Barkly1992
Grumpy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK - I acknowldge my typos - get over it. Its not the point.

I understand the need to hear briefings and emergency announcements and accept this in itself is a very important reason to ban the use of MP3 players during takeoff and landing - I hadn't thought of this. However, what happens during an emergency in cruise when they are permitted?

Also in every aircraft I have flown in as SLF the crew announcements overide the entertainment channels so headsets are not a problem.

But please forgive - MP3 players transmit RF!

To those who think or implied I know nothing - I have a very good idea about it - I used to be the manager of the safety promotion unit in the Oz CAA back in the dark ages 1980s and 1990s and spent a lot of time with technical and safety representatives of Qantas (and the then TAA) and Ansett trying to establish why the over reaction to such devices being used in the cabin years ago. The records do not show a problem. I suspect this requirement has been deemed neccessary by company lawyers.

In 30 years I am not become aware of any aircraft accident being caused by a bunch of kids in the cabin using portable game machines; idiots trying to use mobile phones; by the use of laptop; vibrators or allowing passengers with heart pacemakers.

I am aware that pilots have reported erratic cockpit nav and control indications from time to time - and when cabin crew have been asked whether anyone in the cabin is using an electronic device often the answer is yes - of course when you have 250 people behind you some kid will be playing with his gameboy - or nowadays his PSP2 - but what is cause and what is effect.

Maybe there was something in the wiring or in the hold - or the pilots fingers and/or attitude.

I understand (and I am no longer in the field) that no aviation safety authority has been able to duplicate control, nav or instrument deviation with non-transmitting devices being used in the cabin.

Its like saying are there any blondes in the cabin - yes. Then blondes guys cause intrument deviation.

I of course stand to be corrected - but MP3 players will not cause your aircraft to crash.

This will be caused by a human factor - usually by the pilot - but also could be engineering; ATC or company policy.