PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When to give up
Thread: When to give up
View Single Post
Old 1st Nov 2006, 17:48
cessna l plate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As I have said before, not a single one of us can afford this hobby. Some may have more financial resources than others, but no-one can actually afford it when the benchmark is family, houses, holidays and so-on.
We all have pulls on our money, it is a question of what you do with the disposable part that leaves room for manouver. It works like this, say I have enough disposable income to take my family to Florida for 3 weeks every year. Why not have 2 weeks in Spain or France, works out about half the price, and guess what happens with the balance??? Buy a new car every 4 years and not every 2. You get the picture?
No-one can fault you at all for putting your family first, we have all done that, and indeed that is what I am doing at the moment, self enforced grounding as the resources I made available have gone. It would be very easy for me to apply for another credit card and carry on. But how would I make the payments?
The thing to remember, and I have said this before as well, is that no matter what your money problems are, in the air is no place to consider them. I had a raging fit at the £10 a go landing fees at Sandtoft the other week, I was told of the cost on the 4th circuit. My fit started after landing, not before. If you start worrying about a landing fee at 50' on final with a 10kt crosswind I can guarentee that you will get more for your fee than you bargained for, things like firemen, ambulances, AAIB insectors, things like that.
Why not make the learning process part of your long term goal for flying. For instance, this year aim for first solo then stop. Next year aim to get upto nav then stop. The year after aim to finish it off. There is no time limit on the learning process and hours done now will still count towards the 45 in 10 or 20 years time, so what's the rush? Why put yourself through this, just re-evaluate your aiming points and stop trying to jump through hoops. You are not training to be an airline pilot, so you are, like the rest of us, flying for fun. Don't beat yourself up about it, just have fun and enjoy it!