PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Continental 757 Lands on Taxiway at EWR
View Single Post
Old 1st Nov 2006, 10:25
SEAN911

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been There, Done That

I'm retired now, but early in my career I was an F/E on a B-727 that landed on a taxiway. How's that done? Very easily.
To make a long story short what was supposed to be a visual approach was switched at the last moment to a VOR approach, because we were passing through a squall line. When we broke out we were at minimums, with the "runway" right on the nose; the real runway was not even within peripheral vision. The winds were very strong and gusting (very different from what was being reported) and the the C/P who was flying had his hands full just staying on centerline and keeping from falling out of the sky. The taxiway had recently been repaved and was as wide as most runways. C/P did a very good job of "greasing it on" under extreme wx conditions. It was only when we saw that the high-speed taxiway was at 135 degrees instead of 45 degrees that we realized what we had done. Remember the MD-80 that crashed in Little Rock about June '99? If I remember correctly they encountered windshear right about touchdown, and a headwind of 50 kts switched to a quartering tailwind of about 80 kts, leading to disaster. It's very easy to get so wrapped up in fighting the weather on approach that you miss some "small" item, especially in poor visibility. We had a clear view of the landing roll-out area, so there was no danger. It's very easy to get "sucked in", even for experienced crews. So, please don't be too quick to judge.