PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mixture rich for taxi?
View Single Post
Old 1st Nov 2006, 06:15
UnderneathTheRadar
When you live....

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm starting to believe that Chimbu Chuckles and John Deakin are the same person........

Listen carefully to what chuck says and read (no, understand - you'll have to read it many times!) the Pelican's perch articles and prepared to have to learn a whole new approach to engine management.

I'm still working on it - my leaning techniques have improved out of sight and I'm not scared of the little red knob and detonation anymore - but not quite up to the descent techniques just yet - planning a few flights with a second pilot so that I can concentrate on verifying the theory. Get your head around the fact that it's almost impossible to cook an engine at <65% power and then go and play.

At least I was taught at PPL level what leaning was all about and that it was required but without really understanding it found myself nervous about it and not doing it properly - it is this that has the potetial to harm an engine and so I suspect is the reason why schools go with the just don't touch it and the plane won't fall out of the sky theory.

Besides, the looks on the faces of some of your 'educated' passengers when you reach for the mixture soon after takeoff can be priceless!

UTR.
(A John Deakin/Chimbu Chuckles convert)