PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Last night I met Neil Armstrong - now incl pictures
Old 1st Nov 2006, 02:57
Brian Abraham

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Then perhaps he only did the walking - it was the boys on the ground who arranged and controlled the unbelieveable
ANOrak - not only did he do the walking but also the flying. Get a copy of "First Man" and read about the landing. Absolutly gripping stuff - emergency (computer, and they had not trained for these particular alarms) on short final, and unknown to ground control
"Once I got below fifty feet, even though we were running out of fuel, I thought we would be alright. I felt the lander could stand the impact (freefall from fifty feet) because of the collapsible foam inside of the landing legs. I didn't want to drop from that height, but once I got below fifty feet I felt pretty confident we would be alright."
Post flight analysis found they had fifty seconds (670 lbs) worth of hovering flight left.

I was more amazed by his amazement because there was a man who had walked on the moon and here he was in awe of some fairly old earthly technology
Some of their gear was very low tech. How about determining altitude on the approach to landing with a line on the window and a stopwatch and referring to a chart. You'll have to read the book.