PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ADC Flight 53 Accident + Investigation
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2006, 21:30
Flying Touareg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OBJ Orders Arrest Of NCAA Officials For Not Stopping ADC Pilot

This is becoming really annoying.I just saw this story:

Last Updated: Tue 31st October, 2006 7:31:24 amOBJ Orders Arrest Of NCAA Officials For Not Stopping ADC Pilot-PM NEWS, Lagoshttp://www.saharareporters.com/dn001.php?dnid=172
By Tony orilade/Abuja

President Olusegun Obasanjo has ordered the arrest of three officials of the Nigeria Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) for failing to stop the pilot of the ill-fated ADC plane that crashed on Sunday, from taking off. P.M.NEWS reliably gathered this morning that President Obasanjo was very angry when he heard the Minister of Aviation, Prof. Babalola Borisade, complain yesterday that human error caused the ADC plane crash as the pilot of the passenger aircraft defied orders not to fly the plane due to bad weather.

Consequently, the President ordered operatives of the State Security Service (SSS) to get three officials of NCAA arrested over their roles in the crash which killed 96 passengers, including the Sultan of Sokoto, Alhaji Muhammadu Maccido, two deputy governors, two senators and other prominent people. The President was said to have insisted that if the NCAA officials had played their roles very well, the disaster would have been averted because the pilot wouldn’t have taken off if they insisted that he must not fly.

The President was said to have ordered the arrest after he was engaged in a verbal war by the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Alhaji Bello Masari. Masari was said to have expressed his anger over the spate of air disasters in the country, particularly the latest one that claimed the lives of many prominent Northern leaders. Our source refused to disclose the names of the NCAA officials arrested. The Sokoto-bound plane crashed at Gwagwalada on Sunday shortly after it took off from the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja.

The ADC operation licence was suspended yesterday by the federal government in the wake of the crash. A similar ban was placed on the company ten years ago when its plane crashed at Ejirin in Ikorodu, claiming the lives of all the passengers on board, including a political scientist, Claude Ake and some staff of Shell. That crash occurred on 6 November, 1996 and the embargo placed on the airline was lifted some months later." END

what has NCAA got to do with our airspace? NAMA officials have kept quiet since the accident happened.Maybe its because they know what really happened.But my bane of contention is that since the aviation minister has already made up his mind on the cause of the crash, teh accident investigation bureau has now been compromised.I dont think they have the audacity to refute the ministers claim if their investigations uncover another probable cause.I am really disappointed with manner at which things are becoming.It is sad and annoying.