PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why are Helicopters with the Flettner-System so slow?
Old 31st Oct 2006, 20:43
Dave_Jackson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nick,
rerun your chart to add a column for Ct/sigma, and you will see that the wide chord blades are running at the same Ct/sigma ratio, because you are running them slower.
The program has been rerun and rows for [Ct] and [Ct/sigma] have been added to the above chart.
Actually, the Ct/sigma ratio varies with changes to the chord + rotor speed.

I agree with your latter comments, as they apply to today's conventional rotors.

My previous posting should have been clearer in emphasizing that it applies to future rotorcraft. Rotorcraft such as Sikorsky's X2 and my Intermeshing UniCopter and Interleaving concepts. Their rotors will turn slower during high-speed cruise and the craft will be primarily supported by the advancing blades. This will necessitate wider chords.

Their greatest demand for power will be during high-speed cruise and they will therefore have plenty of excess power for hover. I just wanted to see if the wide chord would be detrimental during hover.
It appears that it will not be detrimental.

As you say, the weigh will obviously be greater for the wider chord, but, it will probably be less than adding separate wings, which the compound helicopters must do.

Dave

Last edited by Dave_Jackson; 31st Oct 2006 at 20:56. Reason: clarification