PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Last night I met Neil Armstrong - now incl pictures
Old 31st Oct 2006, 20:37
ANOrak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Neil Armstrong

On 29th September 1985 (yes in the last century!) I flew Neil Armstrong and his wife plus others from the Turnberry Hotel to Brodick Castle on the Isle of Arran (Scotland for those who might not know). I was flying a Twin Squirrel (Twin Star) and although it was a (rare) warm day with a clear sky, the visibility was appauling with a typical high pressure haze. As a result and as we launched accros the Firth of Clyde, there was suddenly very little to see. However I had put the weather radar into search mode and there in front about 10 miles away was a magenta object which we flew towards. I had already seen the same object for real as I passed on my way to Turnberry and so I was able to tell Neil that it was in fact an American aircraft carrier that was on exercise in the Firth. He was absolutely fascinated and even more amazed when the carrier suddenly came into view in front of us and we passed close by. I was more amazed by his amazement because there was a man who had walked on the moon and here he was in awe of some fairly old earthly technology. Then perhaps he only did the walking - it was the boys on the ground who arranged and controlled the unbelieveable.

I am glad that those of you who attended the dinner enjoyed meeting Neil Armstrong as much as I did (my gosh was it 21 years ago!).
ANOrak