PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aussie fire contracts
View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2006, 21:49
VT-51_Razor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello all, new here. A very enlightening thread for sure.

"Read my previous post: if local (Australian) operators cannot work their machines overseas outside the local fire season, what point is there in making an investment in mediums/heavies? Despite the FTA, the USA/FAA/Forestry will not allow Australian operators to take machines into the USA. But we roll over and let them come here, even if it is under the guise of a local operator who has hooked up with a North American operator to give them some of our money to take home to subsidise their operation"

Squeaks, what makes you so sure that foreign operators can't work here in the 'States? I have come across many, many Canadian and Mexican registered aircraft on fires over here. Everything from 206's to Cranes. I'm quite sure that you are badly mistaken on this point. The foreign operators are working through an AOC holder here in the US, just as the foregin registered aircraft in OZ are working through local AOC's.

I think it just boils down to money. It's bloody expensive to move aircraft around the world, and if you're trying to find work for a small, or medium machine overseas, it's more likely you could lease a local one for a lot less than the transportation costs of getting your own over there (where ever that might be). The Cranes, on the other hand, are quite unique, and are in demand all over the world. If there were an Australian operator with a couple of them on their books, there is no doubt that they would be gainfully employed year around.

Someone else mentioned that Erickson wasn't interested in selling a couple of their machines to Australian operators or the Gov't. To that I say, take a look at what they did with the Italian Corpo Forestale, and the Korean Forestry Service. Four F models to Italy, and 2 (so far) to Korea.

Cheers!