PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why are Helicopters with the Flettner-System so slow?
Old 30th Oct 2006, 20:27
Graviman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those pencil scribbles must be mine, but i don't remember making them...

Understand now, Nick. C.N.Keys covers this well in "Chap III: Forward flight; Sect 6.1: Rotor Stall Limits Methodology".

Interestingly, you could almost put forwards a case for increasing single rotor RRPM with speed to keep rotor advance ratio down (ignoring compressibility). Maybe control system reducing RRPM in hover, for longer duration. I certainly understand how increasing sigma helps overcome the reducing Ct/Sigma with mu.

Still struggling to work out why hover power goes up with solidity ratio. I take it the blade section and twist is chosen to minimise high speed cruise power. This means section min drag AOA is above hover AOA @ 0.75 radius (although this implies camber - reflex perhaps to avoid divergence). Clearly good twist for high mu will be bad for hover.

----

Definately, unloading the retreating blade is the way to go. I find myself wondering how an intermesher developed with 15% effective offset hinge would perform. Certainly there would be negligable risk of blade clash, unlike coaxial on startup with "wrong" pedal applied . The other possible advantage is that, for upper advancing, you get inbuild lateral dihedral without the need of Comanche style air speed sensors.

Hmmm, maybe Dave has a point...

Mart

Last edited by Graviman; 30th Oct 2006 at 21:12.