PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DHL UK changes
Thread: DHL UK changes
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2002, 16:28
mikado

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I am a firm believer in the advice from Corporal Jones - "Don't Panic".

DHL Air had already taken non-type rated pilots although it is true that 757 rated guys and gals are plentiful post 11/9 and the current hirings appear all to be type rated.

If the 727s are to be phased out by the end of 2002 and their work taken on by 757s there should be opportunities for the 727 guys from Air Contractors. The DHL order for 757s ex-BA puts 11 in Brussels with EAT and 23 at EMA with DHL Air. Only about half of those aircraft will be in service by the end of 2002 so there will be job opportunities right through 2003 to match further deliveries which should suit the timings for ACL pilots who remain on the 727 to the end of this year. By the end of this year, who knows what the job market will be or how many 757 rated pilots will return to passenger work when the charter companies realise they have cut back too much.

Hopefully, the management of all the 'interested' parties will be putting their heads together soon and should be able to give out some more information on their plans. I am sure that DHL do not want a disgruntled, unco-operative set of crews at ACL as we move towards the end of the year. It's in everybody's interest to keep the workforce informed and happy and the current information vacuum and contradictory notices are not helping.

This particular vacuum is filling with rumour and speculation. It is less than a month since the changes were announced, so a little more patience is probably in order.

The question of Flight Engineers' futures must be exercising their minds.

I am a new boy to freight, working for DHL Air at EMA. The ACL crews I have met are great guys and very professional in their operation. In effect, we work together now. I hope we can all work together in the future.