PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When to give up
Thread: When to give up
View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2006, 17:27
cessna l plate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As usual it is hard to disagree with what Whirls says.

Although I am a pesimistic soul at the best of times, even I do not think that I'll never fly again. Alright I have had to concede that I am not going to fly again this year, and to be honest the future doesn't look that rosy anyway. My option is a return to being a part time DJ, something I stopped doing earlier this year to spend time with my family, somthing that I don't really want to return to either.

Yes, I know what a strain it can be with kids, but as for your kids needing funding when you are in your dotage, well as Whirls says, 60+ is not a dotage these days. Indeed I have many a "right hand seat ride" from an old guy at my old club, now well into his 80's he keeps having the odd hour here and there. As long as you can pass the medical, there is nothing to stop you from flying at 120 years old.

It does sound like you are trying to justify not doing it to yourself though, and with a family at the heart and root of your anguish, it is easy to understand your rationale. As I said on a earlier post, after first solo you can call yourself a pilot. No-one can take that away from you.

On the other hand, I appreciate that going abroad is a lot cheaper, it is just a matter of justifying the time away from home. As for it being a decision for career not hobby, well, I can assure you that post ppl flying does get cheaper, even if you rent a club plane you are not paying for an instructor are you? Or you can join a group or whatever. I can also assure you that your flying career will outlast your employment one! Remember that in aviation even the amateurs have to behave like professionals if they want grey hair! (attributed to Alan "Bunny" Bramson)

The final decision is always going to be yours. Only you can justify the expense to yourself and your family, and it is certainly noble that you do put your family before yourself, many these days don't. I do this as well, although I do trade a little to enable a spot of aviation here and there.

I once heard of two old guys, well into their 80's, with type ratings that include Hurricane and Spitfire if you get my meaning. One was totally blind, the other as deaf as a post. Every now and then they would pitch up at the flying club to go flying. OK the CFI always went with them, as neither could hold a medical, but it was always claimed that the blind guy was a better pilot than a lot could ever hope to be and could do straight and level better than anyone! The moral of this story is that these two guys had a love of flying, and although mother nature hadn't been kind to them on the medial front they still wanted to, and did, get into the air whenever they wanted. They commited aviation, we all have our own brand of it you know.

Today we have project propeller. This is a charity where ppl's with access to a plane take WW2 pilot veterans from an airfield local to where they live to a fly in, and take them home again afterwards. This embodies the debt we all owe to anyone from that era, and secondly what a great and kind group we are in aviation. This thread embodies that, in that we have all given our time to help you, point you in the right direction and provide advice where we can. The final decision has to be yours, and I hope you make the right decision, whtaever it may be, for the right reasons. Sometines you have to do something for yourself you know!

Just one final point, you will let us know your final decision, wont you?