PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aer Lingus - 2
Thread: Aer Lingus - 2
View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2006, 17:07
akerosid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brian_dromey
Actually EI are no longer a oneworld member. From April(I think, maybe a month or two out, correct me if Im wrong) They will still retain a code-share realtionship with many of the carriers in oneworld, but a formal member EI no longer is.
If EI wants to grow, they should look seriously at aquiring the A346s that EK has apparently cancelled. Buy em cheap, and the economics might be OK, especially as interim lift while they wait for the XWB. There might be payoad issues out of DUB tho? At any rate there are at least 10 free slots comming available on the 330/340 line. They would do quite nicely as medium-term lift until the next gerneration is available, and they should be going for a song.
As for the american carriers, I personally dont see them as huge threat, let us remember that EI has a cost base which can successfully fend off FR. Although the Americans have more compeditive costs these days, I seriously doubt their costs come within an asses roar of EI's. The only problem with EIs long haul network is its relatively limited scope, especially eastwards. (oh ya, PTVs as well!)
Remember, these aircraft are on the same production line as the 330s, so they can be delivered as such; the 330 is about the only widebody that's actually working for Airbus, so I would expect all of these production slots to be converted to 330s. Indeed, DM mentioned some time ago (albeit before EK cancellation - and indeed, the FR plans - were announced) that Airbus was offering it three 330s for 2008 delivery; nothing since ... Getting 330s is a transitional phase for EI and doesn't preclude 787s, although of course, Airbus will bend over backwards to get EI on board with the 350XWB; a 330 customer going for 787s is exactly the message it doesn't want to send out.

PTVs are a must if EI wants to be a serious player on long haul routes, even if it goes down the long haul low cost route. DM has recognised this pretty soon after taking over, although he hasn't done anything about it; I would expect to see a new product in J and Y classes being introduced with the two new 330s being introduced next year.