PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When to give up
Thread: When to give up
View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2006, 10:50
mad_bear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi

Originally Posted by cessna l plate
A few weeks since we heard from Mad Bear, any chance of an update??
Well, I've flown ten hours now, which is the point at which I told myself I would have to make a go/no-go decision on this flying lark. I think I've improved a bit but, because I'm flying circuits at the moment, my inability to maintain a constant direction and altitude isn't quite so obvious as it was

I can take off, fly a circuit without getting lost, and land without the instructor grabbing the controls until the last two seconds. I feel reasonably confident that I will be able to make a solo flight before my money runs out.

But the more I think about it, the more it is clear that I will not be able to afford to fly on any kind of regular basis. It's not that I don't have the money, it's just that there are too many stronger claims on it. In a way, it would be an easier decision if I really didn't have the money; then there wouldn't even be a decision to make.

So my feeling at present is that I want to carry on until I have at least made a solo flight -- money permitting -- and then retire gracefully.

I guess the only thing that would change my mind would be finding something that is cheaper to fly in the long term, and which I could fly rather than wear. Since I'm 6'5", 17st, and 3' wide at the shoulders, that doesn't seem very likely.

Best wishes
Bear