PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I finally did it!!!
View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2006, 10:43
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They are actually some of the most rewarding students to teach for a bloke but unfortuantly there should be a seperate FI rating on how to deal with them.
This is an interesting point, and probably warrants a separate thread rather than highjacking this one...apologies in advance, MG.

A very experienced female instructor friend assures me that women learn to fly differently from men, and need to be taught differently. She found it hard to elaborate, but felt that more research needed to be done on this. I haven't taught many women to fly, but my gut feeling is that she's right. Aviation is still very male-orientated, on the whole. I certainly felt this in the beginning; I don't so much now, probably either because I've changed or because I'm used to it. Of course, every student is different anyway. And a man teaching a woman is probably different from a woman teaching another woman etc etc. Nevertheless, is this an aspect of instructing that we ought to pay more attention to?

(BTW, for those who don't know me, I'm female - a whirly....bird.)

Editing as I just thought of something.....

Most women know that other women are sensitive, and likely to get hurt at criticism or being yelled at. Consequently, I rarely yell at my male students; I assume that because it was counter productive for me to be yelled at, it will be for them to. However, just occasionally I have to - it's the only way to get through to them. And they love it! I find it incomprehensible, but they do!!! Now, is this because men expect or like this teaching method, or is it just their surprise that this small, middle-aged female instructor who's usually so quiet and patient suddenly changes completely, and they like the novelty? Or what?

Answers seriously wanted please.