PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Malayan Airways DC-3
View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2006, 09:06
828a

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tartan Giant:
On the subject of Yorks as mentioned to you before this I seem to remember a York freighter disappeared between Calcutta and Rangoon around 1958. I can't recall if this freighter was ever found and would be interested to know if it was one of Dan Air's aircraft. Regards
WHBM:
Interesting to read of your father's account of his war on Halifax bombers followed by DC3s. He was indeed lucky to have been posted to that DC3 squadron in the Far East. One of the old timer Malayan Airways captains who was a close friend of mine did a tour or two on bombing operations over Germany and he told me the biggest hazard over the target was being hit by bombs from his squadron mates who would intentionally climb above the allocated bombing height so that they (the squadron mates) would not be hit by any falling bombs. Your father's "lucky" silver dollar is familiar stuff as lots of pilots carried all sorts of talismans which seemed to work. Regards
Chris Keeping:
I have been thinking about the rudder on your model DC3 which is fabric covered and realised I forgot to mention to you that the ailerons and the elevators are also fabric covered. This means that the Malayan Airways aircraft had all three of these control surfaces the same colour. Those three chaps you mentioned in the PM are known to me. Regards
828a