PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PHI lose S76 in GOM
View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2006, 01:48
Cyclic Hotline

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Heard a rumour:

The NTSB will not be investigating the accident; that the accident has been classified as an incident; that there is very little public information available; that the crew lost control due to a microburst on the tail end of an instrument approach below minima and ended up in the water.
I'm afraid that really runs at the bottom end of the intelligent, informed, comments that have ever cropped up here. How on earth can the total loss of an aircraft, in flight, meet anyones criteria of an incident? Do you think they just make this stuff up at the NTSB and cover up the accidents that would not be politically correct?

As Nick points out, want to raise the level of oversight from the Feds, be it FAA, OSHA, etc; just try a strike! And it won't just be your local management doing the oversight either. If any one takes on Nick for a bet, count me in too. I'll offer some startling odds!

NTSB definition of an accident.

Federal regulations require operators to notify the NTSB immediately of aviation accidents and certain incidents. An accident is defined as an occurrence associated with the operation of an aircraft that takes place between the time any person boards the aircraft with the intention of flight and all such persons have disembarked, and in which any person suffers death or serious injury, or in which the aircraft receives substantial damage. An incident is an occurrence other than an accident that affects or could affect the safety of operations. (See 49 CFR 830.)