PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ridiculous and Dangerous RT
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2006, 14:07
captainpaddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think we getting closer to the point now.

Firstly, with regard to the being handed over at MAN as you approach the holding fix without any further instructions: That's my understanding of the whole point of the 'clearance limit' idea. When they're too busy to get around to giving you an instruction by that point, they know that you will automatically enter the hold. I really can't see what the problem is. Even if you start the turn to join the hold as you check in with Approach, if they don't want you to hold, they'll give you a heading. What's the problem!!! I won't accept that a 30 degree turn in the wrong direction before App get around to giving a heading for downwind will make any difference to your fuel state or airborne time. I just don't see what the problem is. Sure ATC forget about us occassionally, but I would guess that it is mostly in cases like these when there is an alternative instructions inherent in the clearance to proceed to the holding fix.

Secondly, the pressures that crews are under to keep schedules or minimise fuel burns is for us to deal with. NOT ATC! We have one little aircraft to worry about, they have an awful lot more! It wouldn't bother me in the slightest if I discovered that ATC didn't give a monkeys about my airlines fuel policy. And if you think you need to tell them the reason for your desire to proceed direct somewhere you really, really have missed the point. It seems ridiculously obvious to me that proceeding direct saves time, fuel and money. The reason for you wanting to save time, fuel or money has nothing whatsoever to do with it. Whether it's 'cos your passengers will get grumpy, your boss will shout at you or you'll miss last orders at your local, who cares! I don't. And neither do ATC. So keep it off the radio!