PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ridiculous and Dangerous RT
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2006, 13:35
MaxReheat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATC (occasionally) do forget about you and need nudging (fact) - and it isn't unknown going into MAN to be almost overhead one of the holding points high (due very often to sector workload) to be thrown over to approach PDQ with neither a holding instruction or heading off the fix (I know... clearance limit...etc). Guys and girls - like flighdeck crew - you are not infallible which isn't the impression given by many of the contributors to threads and some of attitudes displayed in this ATC forum. And before you all shout 'what does this (apparent) pilot know about life behind the console' I've been there and got all the tee-shirts.

I personally never ask for a direct routing if I'm running late. I rely on the ability of the controller to provide that whenever possible as a matter of routien. Nevertheless, I'm not sure that you (generic) are quite aware of the pressures on crews to keep the operation on schedule and the huge financial implications to airlines, big and small, of fuel burn affected by everything from ground movements to stepped climbs to levels allocated.