PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Arik Air Managing Director Resigns
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2006, 09:43
Tokunbo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CRJ900,

Since your reply to my post, I decided to do some more investigating and have discovered some more articles which go some way to explaining things, though I've yet to see exactly why van Elk has left.

Mr. Gbemiga Ogunleye, the Head of Communications of Arik explained that the former Managing Director of the airline, Mr. Alex van Elk, was leaving for his native country, Holland, because his contract with the airline had ended.
Contrary to the impression that van Elk was leaving the airline over alleged disagreement with the state of the newly-acquired aircraft, Ogunleye told THISDAY over the telephone on Saturday that Elk contract was to lay the foundation for a solid airline and that he had successfully done this.

The Society of British Aerospace Companies (SBAC) also has a press release on its website, dated 04/05/2006, stating that Arik Air was to buy 2 NEW CRJ 900s and three previously owned 50-seat Bombardier CRJ200 regional jets, built in 2003 (which is still very new for Nigeria).

Bombardier's press release in Toronto, also stated that the airline is buying 2 brand new CRJ900, 3 used CRJ200, built in 2003 and 2 Boeing 737 built in 1990. At the same press conference van Elk is also reported as saying
"With our new Bombardier CRJ900 aircraft, we are setting new standards that will change the face of the aviation industry in Nigeria and offer a totally new travel experience linking the provinces of the country with our largest cities," said Alex van Elk, Managing Director, Arik Air.
So whatever the reason for van Elk leaving, it seems that Arik is operating brand new CRJ 900s and the CRJ 200s are almost new. I was just reporting what the local press was reporting as this is, after all, a rumour network.

I wish the new airline every success when it inaugurates its flight operations tomorrow and hope that it will, at last, prove a success story in the Nigerian airline industry