PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The end of Air NZ
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2006, 04:07
Split Flap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The End of Air NZ...

Well history may, (I hope not) prove me wrong but I think Air NZ is in a fairly good position at the moment given that the airline is still turning a profit (albeit a mediocre one), and the fact that they have spent money upgrading their fleet, restructured, and with jet fuel at the current levels.
The reason that Air NZ is pulling out of routes is due to the fact thay are competing on an unfair playing field with their competitors that are allowed free reign into NZ under our open skies agreement. How many other countries allow a foreign flag carrier to fly domestically?
Sometimes the favour is not returned...
Air NZ is no cute puppy dog here as in the past it has weilded the big boy stick, when it has been able, but if you are looking for the reason why it is pulling out of routes then competiton from airlines with supportive goverment legislation would be the first place I would look. Some of the routes that have been pulled out of have recently required a 105% load factor to break even due to competion, if you cant beat em, join em as they say, with a codeshare. Not as many jobs for the lads but I think getting pilots jobs is not at the forefront of managers minds when making these sorts of decisions.
Air NZ needed bailing out.... due to an unsucsessfull foray into the Australian domestic market as I recall.... I seem to remember one of the parties pulling out of an agreement at the last minute, allowing unresticted air trade between and within two countries.... Perhaps that was why Airnz felt it had to buy an australian airline?
At least the NZ goverment stupmed up with sum cash for that mess, probably felt a little guily there, as the legislation in place did not allow the airline to look overseas for cash. Would rather my tax money went on proping up the airline and keeping 10,000 odd people in work than another treaty claim...
Below MDA, perhaps we could launch some spuds from the boat towards france.... Might make us feel better...