PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Insurance: Life, Loss of Licence, Sickness etc (NOT hull insurance)
Old 28th Oct 2006, 22:54
puntosaurus

I took some advice on the subject of commercial insurance recently, and was told that (at least in the UK) no-one will touch you as a freelance at anything resembling economic rates.
The insurance industry here is happy dealing with AOC (Public Transport) certificate holders, and other major contractors because they represent a known quantity.
I was advised that my best interests were served by ensuring that the terms of business under which I work set out clearly the limits of my liability, and the responsibilities of the company I'm working for to provide liability cover.
They drafted something appropriate and I put it on the back of all my invoices, on the principle that no-one will ever sign anything, but if they pay an invoice with terms attached then they implicitly must accept the terms.
On the personal insurance side (life, personal accident), best of luck ! Start with double the normal premium and then work up from there is my experience.
HTH, but maybe things are different over there.