PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What was your scariest moment in a helicopter?
Old 28th Oct 2006, 17:51
MINself

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where's the ground?

FWIW my scariest moment (which even now sends shivers down my spine) was being the co-pilot in a Lynx AH7, number 2 in a pair making a pairs night PAR, (GCA to those unaware) to a US airfield in a well known sand pit that at the time was 8/8ths fog with no other references apart from the NVG station keeping lights of the lead aircraft 30m slightly lower and to the side in front of us.

As we descended through 200' agl in the latter stages of the PAR, still not being visual with the ground or anything at this stage! as it was a moonless night which was making the NVG work really hard and losing sight cross cockpit of the lead aircraft.

Just as I could feel the leans coming on and the fear gripping my guts, hearing the rear crew calling visual then seeing for myself a taxi-way and then seeing some other parked aircraft through the murk and feeling that "thank god sensation" I'm sure we've all felt at some time.

We finished our approach and taxied in with use of a guide dog, feel and every light on the aircraft after landing thinking that the last 100kgs of fuel had lasted a long time as the low fuel lights had been on the last 10 mins, thankfully not all the guages read right! and then being mobbed by a surprised ground staff and hearing of numerous cancelled sorties.

there for but the grace of god and all that.

moral of the story don't push it just to get home, especially when you've passed gass en-route and opted not to stop and you don't know the weather at your destination, operational or not I'm sure our friends and relatives wouldn't have appreciated not getting us back.

Fly safe....mmm yes