PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kalitta Addition
View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2002, 09:53
Ignition Override

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Red face

A pilot at this company, who I have flown with twice, worked for six years as a Kallita Lear FO/Captain. Due to a shortage of extra Lear Captains, he told me that he once stayed on duty for 30 consecutive hours (without rest), in order to fly the freight to its destinations.

Another guy here (retired Air Force MAC pilot) was a DC-8 FO at Kallita and refused to upgrade to Captain, because it was not by seniority. He told me that it would not be fair to some of the other FOs with more seniority. He also said that it required all three crewmembers and a mechanic to convince ("stand up to") Connie that the elevator hydraulic pressure was inop, according to the gauge. He told me that the heavily-loaded DC-8 would have never rotated during takeoff. The guy (D) told me that his experience there was quite an eye-opener and very educational, being his first civilian pilot job.

Remember when the FAA finally "decided" that all crewmembers on reserve/standby would have a designated rest period? This happened after the Little Rock MD-80 disaster. Notice that other accidents were caused primarily by crew fatigue (Connie DC-8 at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba). Has the FAA ever changed any reg(s) after any freight pilots crashed?

If so, please post the information. If none is available, it illustrates the well-known fact that the FAA has no interest in safety, only "legalities".

[ 25 January 2002: Message edited by: Ignition Override ]</p>