PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bmed or Ba lgw please help
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2006, 18:43
flybywire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tough decision!

HI...that's a tough one.

If money is really what you need at this time and place then maybe BMED will be better for you. However I work with a few ex-BMED crew and they left it for many reasons, one of them being the long trips,most on min rest, which meant they were barely at home. Although those are the trips that pay the most!

However as far as I remember you're fairly new at LGW and rosters will improve, believe me. My first 4 rosters were not good (and we didn't have LH at that time) but then they started getting better.

Plus points for LGW:

- If you're ever going to consider promotion, at LGW it can be fairly quick (I became a purser after only 19 months as I had previous experience).

- There are LOTS of courses that started and will start after yours so your seniority will improve very quickly - which means more bidding satisfaction for both trips and leave.

- Mixture of long and short haul, all the people who I've spoken to who are already doing the mixed flying are happy with it, although 2 different aeroplanes (as opposed to BMED's A320/1) mean a little more studying!

- Really good crew, it's like a big family.

Bad points for LGW:

- Money can make life a bit difficult at the beginning, although I am sure that LH will bring more money to all of us.

- LGW is the invisible sister of LHR....for example whenever you read the cabin crew news they only mention LHR even when issues are common to LGW as well. Might not be a big bad point but it's enough to make me angry!!! Unfortunately Willie does it too and that really annoys me.

As for BMED I do not know the company so I cannot say anything. The only bad points I saw when I thought of applying for them years ago were a)long trips away from home often on min rest between sectors and b) it's a LHR! I could not bear the M25 or indeed to leave this part of england (which incidentally was n.2 in the best places to live last night on tv!). The plus point for me was their middle eastern destinations, funny enough they are a bad point for many other crew!

It's all up to you.....if you feel like going........go, I love BA but I turned it down twice before I actually joined, so it's not the end of the world!!

Good luck

FBW