PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 25 solo sign-offs
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2006, 14:14
tescoapp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nicely put sleeve.

Personally I was in the 1 month as a resricted instructor club followed by a instant sign off if i wanted it or not from the CFI. Looking back it was daft. Mind you I wasn't really supervised before that. The old excuse I can supervise you from Morrisions, B&Q etc.

Had only trained one person up to first solo stage, 1 person through x country nav. And about 50% of my lessons were trial flights.

Personally at the very least they should ban trial flights counting for the 100 hours and only 20hours for x-countrys. And have a bit more definition about what supervised actually means.

The solo sign offs are so open to abuse. Some people struggle to get them but have a great experence base of teaching the other exercises. Others can get them done in less than a week. I did them properly flying with each student, briefing them, 1 hour sorties once solo. Must admit I did have 2 QXC's which I counted for 6. This was before the debate on here where a poster got Lasors changed so you couldn't do it any more. And I was still only 2 weeks.

I really don't know if anything will get done. As far as I can tell there has been only anecdotal storys about the quality of instructors dropping.
I presume there hasn't been a huge increase in accidents in solo students or the powers that be would have changed things.

Personally I think that the simple fact that a low houred FI is actually expecting a high standard similar to what was expected of them on thier CPL and FIC, that they don't release the students when an experenced instructor would.