PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instructors, a rare breed indeed!!
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2006, 11:08
shortstripper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's nothing to do with motivation Unfazed, it's more to do with lack of time and money.

It's very easy for somebody in their twenties, with no great ties or responsibilities to see everything from their point of view (not saying this is you, but bear with me). This developes a "well I did it despite some hardship ... why can't you?". Whilst that is true and fair in itself, it is a very short sighted and selfish way of looking at things. There are many out there who would dearly love to throw caution to the wind and borrow £25K (assuming they could) to gain a CPL/fATPL FIR. In my case (just for illustration) I'm married with five children, work as a farm manager (which is a notoriously poorly paid profession) work and live on the job (what's spare time?) and only manage to fly by reduceing the costs to a minimum. Yes I am very passionate about flying, but my passion tends to be for vintage, homebuilt and strip flying rather than IFR and airliners. I would love to instruct and impart some of my enthusiasm for this kind of aviation to others ... but it is just impossible at the moment as my first responsibility is to my family. Spending £5K and three weeks getting the FIR is one thing, but spending £10K + and 6 weeks or so before even that, is quite another. Yes, I'd love too, if I physically could ... but my next opportunity to have that much time and money will be in about 15-20 years time if I'm lucky! Mind you, getting time to teach in my case would be very limited right now anyway, that's why I've said my case is for illustration. The point is, there are many very experienced and passionate PPL's out there, and they don't need a CPL to prove that they are (that's just bloody arrogant). Many would and COULD teach if they didn't have to spend a fortune in time and money unneccasarily!

SS

Last edited by shortstripper; 27th Oct 2006 at 11:11. Reason: Edited to say that SAS replied whilst I was writing, and has managed to put my point across far more eloquently.