PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Whats It Like Now That Your In The Airlines?
Old 27th Oct 2006, 07:13
Big Kev

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whats It Like Now That Your In The Airlines?

As a CPL holder who has done some flying work on the east coast of Australia, I'm wonder and ponder sometimes if its all worth it

My dream from the outset was to become an airline pilot so I got my CPL but decided to hold of on the ATPL and MECIR and just get a basic VFR job to see whether it was really me and push ahead.

I loved doing the odd flying job here and there when I get it but with the conditions apparently going down and pilots from the upper level whinging and whining, I sometimes wonder whether its all worth it in the end to continue to spend money and pursue qualifications, endorsements and ratings or look into doing something else.

I am approaching 30 years of age now and would like to know from the current airline pilots out there how your travelling in your current jet job and whether your dream that has been realized has lived up to what you expected and thought it was meant to be or is it just a job. Is it all beer and skittles like a lot people think it is?

How has transitioning into being an airline pilot affected your social and family life? Is sitting in a metal tube that practically flies interesting and exciting like flying a smaller aircraft - what about the people you work with?

And quite importantly for those of you in a relationship - how does now serving as an airline pilot affect you? Have you been able to maintain your relationship or is it a constant struggle?

Interested to hear people stories and if any advice you wanna mention as well.

Thanks a lot.....

Kev