PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Multi-crew Pilots Licence (formerly: South African Airway's plan to get co-pilots)
Old 27th Oct 2006, 05:40
ALPHA FLOOR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a South African I am embarresed by this intiaive which is nothing more than a loop hole in order boost the ranks with "Afirmative Action" recruits.

The success rate for the SAA cadet scheme has been abismal and has cost the company an absolute fortune and has not delivered the numbers of non-white pilots that was hoped for.

Now when there are able bodied, experienced crew available in South Africa it has been decided to over look them and recruit via an easier cheaper channel than the cadet scheme and fast track these token pilots to Command simply to "balance the numbers". It is public knowledge that this and the cadet scheme are not open to white males - only to Blacks, Indians, Coloured male and female!

IT IS A SHAME THAT 12 YEARS AFTER THE FALL OF APARTHEID THAT THIS GOVERNMENT CHOOSES TO WALK THE SAME ROAD!

Whether or not this scheme has merit as a means of coping with a rapid exansion is not the question here, in the context of SAA it is simply reverse rasism!

The fact is that SAA is the only State Sponcered carrier in the world today that is shrinking while most other airlines are expanding - and its not due to lack of work or high fuel prices, but rather due to pathetic management.

While I respect many of my collegues at SAA I cannot and will not accept this as means to disqualify anyone due racial orientation from having a chance to fly for SAA.

But thats just my point of view.

AF