PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Multi-crew Pilots Licence (formerly: South African Airway's plan to get co-pilots)
Old 27th Oct 2006, 04:58
Ignition Override

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Lightbulb

Alpine Flyer: A furloughed pilot who instructs on the CRJ sim. and in the actual aircraft gave me a short description of a guy who went throught the Gulfstream program in Florida. We were walking up a jetway at DFW. This Gulfstream program included the basic ratings, then some experience as B-1900 First Officer.

When this new pilot was then hired by a different company with CRJs, the guy had some serious problems flying instrument approaches in the simulator. He had very little actual instrument experience as B-1900 FO and he failed the training. I can easily imagine being new with the enormous learning challenges of your first FMC, and in your first jet (by the way, a Flight Attendant who is married to an Instructor there told me that lady new-hires receive much more extra help...compared to the guys). The problem he stated was instrument experience in weather, or at least flying the approaches.

But once trained at the famous or 'infamous' Gulfstream as FO, the promises of the training package must have been quite encouraging. Imagine the huge financial expense, and then finding out at your first jet airline that your limited flying hours, despite being in a twin-turbine (in mostly good weather) have not prepared you to fly a single-engine ILS, a regular 2-engine LOC or NDB approach, and combine these with some automation (how much?).

Many years ago, a guy at a regional airline I worked for had some problems in training. He had flown as King Air "FO" at a small charter company, and the guy he flew with most of the time was very selfish about sharing the flying: he seldom allowed this nice guy to fly departures or approaches (maybe the Captain only cared about his own actual instrument time, for use on a job application, but PIC is always PIC in most turbine aircraft). But he made it through the training ok and about two-three years later checked out as a Brasilia Captain at another company, then later went with a major east coast airline which was a fine company until being consumed by a dour 'yankee' airline.