PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instructors, a rare breed indeed!!
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2006, 04:17
shortstripper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The earlier comments to make the FI course longer and give a dispensation to CPL holders- why not get PPL holders to do a pre FI course ground school course (and exams) and call it a .....CPL groundschool course!!
Isn't 27 a bit young to be a luddite Sam? At least SAS has thought about the problem, offered his opinion and come up with a plausible solution. Earlier in the thread you accused me of being someone who "wants a divide between PPL and CPL pilots" Do you not think that flippant remarks like yours above do just that?

I don't know why I bite at such comments? Perhaps it's the fact that I've been flying virtually as long as you've been alive? Maybe because having built two aeroplanes and been taught by PPL instructors who have probably forgotten more about aviation than you'll ever know (unless you remove the blinkers) ... has created a certain chip on my shoulder when it comes to the dismissive views of CPL's like yourself toward PPL's who obviously no so little!

Despite what you might think, I have a tremendous respect for CPL's and have several who are good friends. I have considered doing the CPL myself, but to be honest, why would I or anyone not wishing to change career want to spend out thousands to gain a licence they will never fully use? Indeed most of my CPL friends would consider me clinically insane for parting with all that cash knowing my situation. However, just because someone has no desire to become a professional doesn't mean that they have nothing to offer in terms of expertise or experience. I'm sure the NPPL (or EU version if it happens) will address the disparity between aircraft groups (and countries) and come up with a more sensible way to allow PPL's to instruct. In the meantime GA will continue to loose out to microlighting or even non aviation pursuits as ever increasing costs will drive all but those with professional aspirations away from group A flying.

SS