PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Agusta AW139
Thread: Agusta AW139
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2006, 00:56
Geoffersincornwall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nail on the head

Malabo

You have answered your own question. Rich people (or folk who don't end up paying the bills) don't always make rational decisions when it comes to their own safety. Money brings its own brand of immortality. Unfortunately there are many holes in the ground that point to a lack of wisdom in that department.

Shawn

Couldn't agree more with you pal.

I'm told that the design requirement of a formula one engine is that it should expire one lap after the race is finished (or the second race these days). The design requirements of the Mils that I have had the pleasure of flying are that they should not expire - ever. They are built like brick-sh1t-houses and never see the inside of a hangar save during their 1500 hour refurb. You can dig a Mil out of a snow-drift and just press the button, switch on the blade de-ice and away you go.

Whatever the design requirements set out by western manufacturers they seem to get sabotaged by the brochure writers and the con - sorry - salesmen. Oh yes, of course you can fill it up to Max Gross and fly at VNe - all day if you want - yea, in my dreams. I think I could make a fortune making doublers for western helicopters. They grow repair patches and reinforcements like it's going out of style. I've said this before and I'll say it again. I would like to visit with the design teams for any new western helicopter carrying a flight bag - say 20kg - full of metal and say to them "There you are please put 20 kgs of metal back in your helicopter where you think it will do most good". I would rather have the pain out front, day one, than go through all the agonies of multiple-ship downtime and pissed-off customers.

Over to you factory guys.

Geoffers