PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Some People Are a Worry
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2006, 00:22
Squawk7700

Received 196 Likes on 103 Posts
Devil

This thread appears to be headed for closure as they often do.

Man, if you didn't notice, I mentioned sarcasm at the end of my post. I still feel the see and avoid principles remain no matter where you are...

... which brings me to my next point on how some IFR pilots cancel their IFR seemingly far too late when flying into a CTAF and overwork the poor controller who has to constantly update them on traffic information; it's beyond a joke when he has to do 10+ traffic updates and the IFR guy responds when his attention could be better spent looking out the window....

... and don't get me started on the classic 2 mile 5 mile straight in approach. Seems many people like to establish final on 2 miles rather than 5 and they are seemingly hardly ever where they should be. I'd have to do a calculation, however in theory if the 5 mile straight in approach was done correctly, in many cases it would be shorter and quicker to overfly and do a quick circuit. At 5 miles in many places at 1,000ft without GPS reference it can be hard to actually be established on an actual 5 mile final and even with gps you'd need to set the GPS to the radial of the runway (if it even has that feature) to actually align yourself - I don't think the majority of people on 5 mile finals are even thinking about doing this.

Enough bitching for this morning from me.