PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ALPA to Ask for Cockpit Guns - CNN
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2001, 20:52
OFBSLF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Throttlemonkey said:

"If your going put guns on the flight deck they must be signiture guns only operable by the owner, this technolog exists and has done for some time."

Nope, it does not. Several US manufacturers have and still are doing R&D towards this goal. But none of them have a workable system yet. Some have demonstrated prototypes, but even in the most benign circumstances (demonstrating them to the press at a conference), they failed miserably.

One entrepreneur who make fingerprint recognition hardware claims he can build it into a gun. But he has not shown a working model. And it would have to recognize either hand, from either pilot. It would have to work when the hands are sweaty, dirty, and bloody. After being dropped or kicked across the cockpit. For those of us that live in cold climates, how would it recognize your fingerprint while you are wearing gloves? Not an easy task.

Given how gun manufacturers in the US are being sued like crazy, they'd love to be able to sell such a gun. None of them due, because no one has made one that works reliably.

The only working system available now is the MagnaTrigger conversion done by Rick Devoid in New Hampshire. http://www.tarnhelm.com/magna-trigge...ty/magna1.html
He can only install it on revolvers. As a one man shop, he certainly couldn't convert enough to arm a lot of pilots quickly. It works by requiring the shooter to wear magnetic rings (on both hands).

The other "technology" available are manual locks built in to the gun, either a combination lock (available from Taurus) or a key lock (available from Hechler & Koch). These types of locking devices cannot be unlocked quickly. In fact, the H&K device can only be unlocked when the magazine is removed from the gun. The Taurus lock has the awful feature that it could easily be bumped into being locked. That would really suck if you were just about to shoot a terrorist...

These types of locks can not be unlocked when a terrorist is breaking down the cockpit door. They could only be used to secure the gun when not on the aircraft. But there are many ways to do that effectively (trigger lock, lock cables, lock boxes, gun safes, etc).

Personally, I unlocked my H&K, put the key back in box, and left it that way. My security for my H&K (and other guns) is a large safe.

OFBSLF
Firearms Instructor Certified by Massachusetts State Police