PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How, and how long, to get that first job?
Old 26th Oct 2006, 21:26
Gravox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know the EUROPEAN way of aviation, but it appears to me, that you all seem to be targeting the airlines. There are a few of you stating that they are working for skydivers. You need to be different than the rest. Fly for some small dodgy operator and get some experience in your log book. It will make you more appealing to the big boys, but it will be the best flying you will ever do.

I understand that a few of you see yourself as getting on in age,but enjoy every moment of flying, cos you'll only be a systems monitor as soon as you're flying the jets. I have flown C172, 182, 206, Barons, Navajo, Metros, Saab 340s, and am now in the RHS of a B737.

My first job paid AU$100 a week. I did that for 10 months and had a ball. I made some great friends, but more importantly I learned how to actually fly! I learned more in those 10months than i did in the year of training previously. I constantly landed with 10knot tail winds, beach lands, and how to fly in VMC whilst the aircraft was only VFR rated. I learned how to make command desicions and to respect the weather. The early days in your career is your training ground. If you are flying as single pilot this is where your desicion making ability really begins, there is no one next to you saying what you should do.

you should really learn to walk before you run. I had 4000hours before getting into a jet, but that is the way it is down this way, and I wouldn't change it for all the tea in china. In fact, I'm now bored and am looking for a challenge. I would love to go back and fly a Navajo again, but it is the pay that is stopping me.

Go out there get some real experience and enjoying the hands on flying. I don't know how some of you can sit around and not fly just waiting for a phone call. IT"S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN! Convert your license go to Africa and try your luck. If still you don't get any flying well you can say your tried, and had a great time in the process.

I could could go on and on but I'll stop now. Don't feel hard done by if you are given an opportunity to fly an old piston, while your mate is flying a turbine, grab it it with both hands and enjoy. I had a mate with 2500hours on a C206 and loved every minute.

If you are dedicated and persevere you'll get there. GOOD LUCK
Keep the blue side UP!