PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Holding for EGCC
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2006, 16:54
anotherthing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GWH

valid point about the holding for Manch.... as a controller, i would still like as much warning as possible about low fuel states. I have had many an A/C tell me that they can only hold for 15 or 20 mins then will have to divert. This sort of info is ideal.

That gives me and the guys behind me plenty of time to warn people, think of alternate plans and start formulating a flight plan change in the system (although flying to an alternate as per original flight plan, it still involves our assistants implement what is effectively a change).

The more notice the better... but it is a 2 way thing... if we (ATC) can give A/C a realistic figure early, they (aircrew) might come back with a statement regarding fuel state early.

Unfortunately for the TMA, the en route guys do not get as much info as the terminal area guys... i.e. they do not get told individual delays, only when we go into EATs. By the time you are transferred to us at West Drayton (and consequently told the proper figures about the impending delay), it can be quite a short run in to the hold (we often get A/C inbound to WILLO at GWC!).

when it starts to get like that, often the most we can do at TC is warn our fellow controllers and ask them to slow you down... that usually starts to make people think about the possibility of holding as well.

It might change for the better when we go down to Swanwick - all the area guys need is a feed from the remote camera that points down on a piece of paper in our OPs room stating delays... it's that antiquated but it works because it is simple!